Hike Maui - Haleakala Crater Hiking Experience
Join a guided tour group to hike Haleakala crater! This moderate 4-mile hike takes you through different environments and features beautiful views. You'll first hike 2 miles at the 8,000-foot elevation on a lava rock trail lined with rare endemic plants. Then hike 2 more miles at the 10,000-foot summit, where huge cinder cones dominate the expansive, desert-like scenery.
- Hike into both sides of Haleakala
- Enjoy the crater’s different environments
- 2-mile hike at the 10,000-foot summit features views of huge cinder cones and a desert-like scenery
- 2-mile hike at 8,000-foot elevation along a lava trail features views of rare native plant species
- On a clear day it seems you can see forever
- Nutritious lunch, snacks and water
- Knowledgeable tour guide who will share interesting facts
- Backpack, rain gear, bug repellent
Sandwich Choices: Veggie, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Ham or Turkey
Haleakala Crater Hiking
- Where and When:
- Tour time: 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Meet at the Kahului Park & Ride (View Map). The Park & Ride meeting location is along a large concrete wall with a single row of parking facing Hwy 380 west of Hwy 311.
Directions from Wailea / Makena / Kihei (the south side of the island): From Hwy 31 (Piilani Hwy) head north. Follow airport signs to Kahului, bearing right onto Hwy 311. After 10 minutes, look for a big church (King's Cathedral), then move into left lane. Turn left onto Hwy 380 (Kuihelani Hwy). Go 200 yards and turn right into Park & Ride commuter lot. Park your car against a concrete block wall.
Directions from Lahaina / Kaanapali / Kapalua (the west side of the island): Head south on Hwy 30 as if you're going to Kahului Airport. Turn right onto Hwy 380. Five miles down 380 there's a concrete block wall on the left. Turn across highway into Park & Ride commuter lot against that wall.
- Parties of 10+ will be accessed a $250.00 gratuity at the time of reservation.
- Participants must be at least 8 years old.
All participants must wear closed-toed shoes.
- Special Notes:
- Operation Days:
- 7 hours
- Hike Maui
- Tour might be canceled if fewer than 4 guests have signed up for the tour on any given day.